On the day of surgery, please arrive about one to two hours prior to your scheduled surgery time. You will be asked to sign a consent form for the physician and facility to care for you. If the patient is a minor, this form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
If you would like to bring your child in for a tour before their procedure, please call us to set up a time. This can help ease anxiety that you and your child may feel. Also, feel free to bring a favorite toy, pacifier, or blanket for your child to help them feel comfortable.
Both parents may stay with their child in the pre-operative area before surgery and in recovery following surgery. A parent or legal guardian must remain in the facility while their child is under our care.
Your child will most likely have an IV in place when they wake up from their procedure, which will be removed after they are awake and taking fluids without nausea. Please bring a bottle or sippy cup if you child does not drink from a cup. It is fine for your child to have something to drink after the procedure.
Morning of Surgery
- Take a bath or shower and brush your teeth (taking care not to swallow any water) to minimize the chance of infection.
- Remove all makeup, nail polish, jewelry, and contacts. If you must wear contacts, please bring your storage case for use during surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that can accommodate a bandage, cast, or other type of dressing where the procedure is being performed. Keep in mind that our center is always kept at a cooler temperature. During surgery, you will wear a patient gown provided by the center.
Reminders for Surgery
- Bring all insurance cards , a government issued photo ID and your form of payment.
- Bring a copy of your consent forms and an Advanced Directive if you have one.
- If you have asthma or emphysema, bring inhalers with you.
- Contact the pre-operative nurse at the surgery center to discuss your medications prior to surgery.
- If you are having knee, ankle or foot surgery, you may require crutches. Coordinate obtaining these with your surgeon.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you to the center, receive discharge instructions, drive you home and stay with you for the first night following surgery.
- Due to space limitations, we request that no more than two adults accompany children to the center.
- We do welcome both parents of pediatric patients. Parents of children absolutely cannot leave while their child (minor) is at the facility; they must remain in the waiting area.
- Please leave all jewelry, wigs, cash and valuables at home. We cannot be responsible for their safety.
- In consideration of all of our patients who are not able to eat, we request family members refrain from eating in our waiting area.